A few weeks ago, somebody asked me to talk about parenting special needs kids. 20 things parents of special needs kids need to hear.1 Here are the final five.
According to Abilities.com:
16. “Don’t let typical parents get you down.” When you hear parents of able-bodied kids making progress and yours aren’t, it’s easy to feel discouraged.
17. “Don’t compare” your kids to others—“your child is unique.”
18. “You don’t have to be” the creative parent. You’ve got enough on your plate. Let others slave over the Christmas cookies for school.
19. “Make time for your marriage.” Some marriages in these situations end in divorce. Fight for yours.
20. “Trust your instincts.” Sometimes you know better than the doctors.
1This Parent Minute series is based on “20 Things Every Parent of Kids with Special Needs Should Hear” by Dr. Darla Clayton, Psy.D., Abilities.com
Suggested Reading: Psalm 139:13-14